Joseph E. Reed has served as a middle school music teacher, choral director, and private lessons instructor for 20 years. With a B.A. in Music from Colorado State University, he has become a recognized musician, published author, and spoken word artist. A funny, talented, and versatile musician and songwriter, Joseph sings, plays guitar, violin, ukulele, piano, and utilizes a looper pedal to create exciting polyphonic pieces live. Combining his teaching experience and his love for performing, he now serves as a teacher and entertainer in the Metro Atlanta area. Joseph is focused on developing innovative educational tools and activities to help learners have more fun and ease while learning important musical concepts and practicing their musical abilities. He promotes his philosophies of learning through fun, creative play, collaboration, and establishing a firm knowledge base to build from. Fluent in Spanish, he offers his programs both in English and Spanish.
- Phone – (404) 494-0316
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website – http://www.josephereed.com
Arts Disciplines: Music
Core Content Curriculum Areas: Music
Grade Levels: K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12, University
Special Populations: At-Risk Students, Special Needs Students, Individuals with other barriers to educational achievement, including individuals with limited English proficiency.
Pre-Service Learning and Professional Development: Professional Development for Teaching Artists
Geographic Availability: Metro Atlanta, North Georgia, Middle Georgia, South Georgia
- Performance fees – $300 for one show. $500 for 2 shows (back-to-back). $650 for 3 shows (back-to-back). 30-45 minutes per show. Performances include an aide/facilitator that will offer to those interested to play Musicards or participate in the performance.
- Workshop fees – $30 per participant. Includes participation in a giveaway, to win a deck of Musicards™. (Approx. giveaway ratio 1:10)
- Ages: K-12
- Levels: Beginner through Advanced
- Length: 45-60 minutes.
- Minimum number of participants required per workshop: 5. (Price may decrease depending on number of participants, please contact for details.)
- * All programs will have an extra $0.50/mile if outside of the Metro Atlanta area. Other costs of travel and accommodation are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Joseph E. Reed is a talented and versatile musician and songwriter. He sings, plays guitar, violin, ukulele, piano, and utilizes a looper pedal to create exciting polyphonic pieces live. His genres include positive Rap, Classic Rock, Country, Alternative Rock, and Classical. Combining his teaching experience and his love for performing, Joseph now serves as an educational entertainer at schools, libraries, community centers, daycares, and more. He is known for his positive, chill vibe where he engages students by meeting them where they are and patiently building a relationship of trust, patience, and dedication.
Joseph has been a featured artist at the Clarkston Community Center, The Cobb Community Summer Youth Program, Global Frontier Apartment Program, Little Five Arts Alive, Art on the Beltline, Knock Music House events, Avondale Art Walk, and the Educating for Success Homeschooling Conference. He performs regularly around Atlanta and has been on numerous local broadcasts including Creative Loafing’s Live from the Archives, WRFG, and WREK, and is active in the local open mic scene.
Joseph earned a B.A. in Music from Colorado State University in 2001. Since then, he has served as an educator for 20 years, as a middle school music teacher, private lessons instructor, mixed-age education facilitator, and choral director. He is now a recognized musician, published author, and spoken word artist.
He enjoys developing innovative educational tools and activities to help people have more fun and ease while learning important musical concepts and practicing their musical abilities. He is also fluent in Spanish and has previously taught music to Spanish-speaking students.
Joseph promotes his philosophies of learning through fun, creative play, collaboration, and establishing a firm knowledge base to build from.
- Musicards™: A highly interactive game designed to help participants memorize fundamental concepts necessary for reading and notating music. Games are powerful tools for enhancing learning. With Musicards™, players have access to a wide variety of games that strengthen the understanding and remembering of pitches, intervals, scales, chords, and chord progressions. This firm foundation of memorization and understanding (Bloom’s Taxonomy) prepares learners for further application and analysis of the information. After playing Musicards™, students are better able to quickly recall theory concepts, and they look at music theory with more delight and interest.
- The Creative Process: Participants will have the opportunity to see Joseph in action and also participate in the creative process behind songs. Using diverse instruments like guitar, violin, piano, ukulele, voice, percussion and a looper pedal Joseph will perform and guide the production of exciting polyphonic compositions. This entertaining program highlights a variety of cultures, musical backgrounds, and languages. Joseph will walk the participants through the various steps in the creative process while using innovative tools to define each step in an engaging, interactive and fun way including but not limited to audience participation, games, and participant-driven dynamics.
Sample Lesson Plans/Study Guides:
- Keys Corner – Musicards™
- Progressions – Musicards™
- Squeeze – Musicards™
- Steps – Musicards™
- The Distance – Musicards™ – K-12
- The Distance – Musicards™ – High School
- The Creative Process – PowerPoint
- The Creative Process with Looper Pedal