Experience an outdoor school field trip with the most interactive and inventive of theatre companies. Located in South Fulton, Serenbe Playhouse produces immersive outdoor theatre based on famous works of literature, perfect for cross-curriculum integration and exposure to the fine arts. Students will experience lively educational productions with state-of-the-art production values and interaction with the characters, all set in the never-ending expanse of the great outdoors. These unforgettable field trips include a private talk-back and photo opportunity with actors after the performance, as well as a complementary location for a picnic lunch (just bring blankets and a sack lunch). And for groups who want even more out of their day, schools can customize their Playhouse experience with an Interactive Workshop, organic farming tours with Serenbe Farms, or even visit the Serenbe Animal Village to hand-feed and pet the farm animals. With national recognition from The New York Times, American Theatre Magazine, Playbill, and the American Theatre Wing, Serenbe Playhouse creates some of the Southeast’s most engaging and widely recognized theatre, revolutionizing the way students experience both the arts and their studies.
- Phone – (770) 463-1110
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website – http://www.serenbeplayhouse.com/
Arts Disciplines: Visual Art, Theatre/Drama, Storytelling, Music
Core Content Curriculum Areas: Theatre/Drama, Science, English/Language Arts, Social Studies/History, Music
Specialized Content Areas: Arts Integration, Literacy
Grade Levels: K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12
Special Populations: At-risk Students, Special Needs Students
Geographic Availability: Metro Atlanta, North Georgia, Middle Georgia
- At Serenbe – $5.00-$17.50 per student
- At School – $750/performance (discounts available for Title One schools)
- Workshops: $150/workshop (discounts available for Title One schools)
- Residencies: $2,000-$4,000 (discounts available for Title One schools)
Outdoor, interactive theatre company Serenbe Playhouse offers one-of-a-kind educational theatre experiences that make for unforgettable immersive experiences, supporting cross-curriculum integration, exposure to the outdoors, and an arts experience sure to inspire. With national recognition from The New York Times, American Theatre Magazine, and Playbill, and a recipient of the 2016 American Theatre Wing Grant, Serenbe Playhouse creates some of the Southeast’s most engaging and widely recognized theatre, revolutionizing the way student audiences experience the arts and understand the world around them. Students can join Serenbe Playhouse for a memorable field trip in the beautiful foothills of Chattahoochee Hills, GA, for a state-of-the-art, professional outdoor production. Each performance is interactive, outdoors, and includes a talk-back with the actors as well as teacher access to Serenbe Playhouse cross-curriculum exercises, for an imaginative and fun way to bring the classroom to Serenbe and the grounds of Serenbe back to the classroom. For school groups that want more out of their visit to Serenbe, they can also customize their field trip with a lunch from local bakery The Blue Eyed Daisy, an Interactive Workshop, an organic farming tour and harvesting activity with Serenbe Farms, or our most popular add-on, a visit to the Serenbe Animal Village to hand-feed and pet the farm animals. In addition to their iconic productions and field trip experiences, Serenbe Playhouse also offers touring productions of their educational programming to schools, as well as theatre training and hands-on student experiences through after-school drama programs, school residencies, and in-classroom master classes. All programming is curated by Serenbe Playhouse teaching artists and hand-tailored to a school’s curriculum and programming needs. Offer your students one-of-a-kind arts experiences with Serenbe Playhouse, the most intrepid and fearless of theatre companies, one that produces its reinvented productions in the never ending expanse of the great outdoors.
Serenbe Playhouse Academy has an educational philosophy that emphasizes classic literary works, environmental sustainability, and the ideal that theatre and the arts should be available and accessible to all members of our society. Serenbe’s educational programs endeavor to point students towards literary works, and they utilize these works to create interesting and groundbreaking performances to both inspire and inform artists of all ages, while encouraging outdoor performance and environmental sustainability by utilizing out-of-the-box thinking to recycle, reuse, and reduce our impact on the environment. Serenbe welcomes any student, regardless of previous experience or exposure, to participate in their programs. Serenbe believes theatre is a necessity, not a privilege, and is an intrinsic outlet to encourage both communication skills and community. In support of this philosophy, Serenbe is proud to offer discounted programming for Title One schools, as well as scholarship programs for student groups who would otherwise need financial assistance in order to participate.
- The Sleepy Hollow Experience
- Educational Field Trip: English Language Arts/Fine Arts
- Grades: 4th-12th
- Based on Washington Irving’s “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,” written in 1820 and an example of early American fiction set in post-Revolutionary War America, this is a perfect show to coordinate with fun and thrill-filled fall curriculum in history, literature, English, and music. “The Sleepy Hollow Experience,” set in the Horseman’s Meadow at Serenbe under the changing leaves of fall, is a thrilling production that features professional performances of music from the colonial era, a live horse, and a midnight ride with the famed headless horseman himself. This production is sure to ignite every student’s passion for early American fiction, as they feel the crisp autumn air, smell the fire of the horseman’s torch, and experience the thrill of spooks triggered by their own imaginations, just as Irving intended.
- Recommended Curriculum Integration:
- History – Colonialism and the Revolutionary War | Post-Revolution America
- Literature/English – The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent. by Washington Irving (includes American classics, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle)
- Music – Early American Music Literature | American Folk Son
- Performances: Located on-site at Serenbe, minimum booking 50 tickets, maximum 150 tickets/performance
- Pricing: $15/student, with one free chaperone for every 10 students; discounted pricing available for Title One schools
- Other Education Series productions available in the 2017-2018 season include “Robin Hood” and “The Snow Queen”
- The Serenbe Playhouse Original Production Residency
- Professional Arts Experience: English Language Arts/Fine Arts
- Grades: All Ages
- For arts programs looking to expose students to the world of a professional theatre company, look no further than Serenbe Playhouse’s Original Production Residency. In this, the most advanced of our professional development residencies, Serenbe Playhouse Academy will bring in a professional resident playwright to adapt a public domain story from your school’s curriculum and create an original work for student performance. Starring the students, this performance will be professionally directed, choreographed, and composed by Serenbe Playhouse Academy’s professional artistic team, allowing students the truly unique experience of a professional production at the academic level.
- Timeframe: 4-week rehearsal process, with four 3-hour rehearsals per week
- Provided by client: Costume, set, props, lights, performance and rehearsal space
- Capacity: 60 person cast & crew
- Fee: $4,000 flat rate
- Add-Ons: Serenbe on-site Performance Package, additional $100 per week. Provides rehearsal and performance space at the Serenbe Community. Tech Package, additional $3,000 for Playhouse provided set, costumes, lighting and prop design and execution.
- The Skillshops Series
- Professional Arts Experience: Fine Arts
- Grades: All Ages
- In Serenbe Playhouse Academy’s take on a masterclass series, The Skillshops, a Serenbe Playhouse Academy directing professional will come to your school for professional student coaching in the fine arts. Our directing professional and teaching artists will lead a 30-minute masterclass on the basics of strong staging and acting strategies, watch your school group’s existing arts performance, and provide a 30-minute notes and works session with the students afterwards. Wonderful for existing drama clubs, school plays, and home educator groups, this is the perfect way to take arts knowledge to the next level quickly, work with theatre professionals, and teach a new arts vernacular to students and teachers alike. Timeframe: A 2 to 4-hour rehearsal, with maximum booking of one rehearsal every two weeks. Provided by client: The actors prepared to perform, space provision optional. Actors are to arrive wearing movement clothing. Actors are to bring their own water and notebooks and pens for notes.
- Capacity: 40 person cast & crew
- Cost: $150 for the first two hours, $25 for each additional hour
- Add-Ons: Special Skill Workshop – Flat-rate of $100/special skill per rehearsal, a theatre professional specialist will come in for an added hour of rehearsal to provide your group with added insight and technique in a specialty theatrical field. Current special Skillshops available: Stage Combat, Stage Makeup, Puppetry, and Technical Theatre.
Sample Lesson Plans/Study Guides:
- Masterclass Packages – Professional Directing Experience
- Sherlock Holmes and the Speckled Band – Script Sample
- Sleepy Hollow – Lesson Plan